Verucchio-Ideal starting point to visit the Romagna region
- 7 May 2019
From 330 meters above sea level an incomparable panorama of the Romagna Riviera. Where is Verucchio? Among the “most beautiful villages in... Read More
Art, artifacts and signs of a story started 3000 years ago.
It is located on the top of the rock overlooking the village and allows a view to 360 ° of the village itself, the hills, the valley of the river Marecchia and the plain to the Adriatic coast. The Malatesta fortress, also known as Rocca del Sasso for its location on the spur of rock that overlooks the village; It is one of the largest Malatesta fortifications built from the XII to the SIXTEENTH century D. C. And still well preserved. The Rocca was the birthplace of Malatesta by Verucchio called the “centenary”, quoted by Dante in the Divine Comedy as “Old Mastin”, founder of the dynasty and father of Giangiotto and Paolo, famous for the History of love and Death with Francesca da Rimini. It is entirely visitable (0541-670222). It is frequently home to shows, exhibitions, conventions and cultural events.
Second Rocca dei Malatesta; On this was built the monastery of the nuns of St. Clare (1600), now undergoing redevelopment. Skirting the “walls of St. George” you enter Verucchio through the ancient front door, faithfully and beautifully rebuilt.
It is among the oldest constructions of Verucchio; It is located at the foot of the rock and is reachable by taking the road from the village descends to the hamlet of Villa Verucchio. Of Romanesque Gothic architecture, its construction dates back around the year 990; The parish church is dedicated to St. Martin.
Built in 1863 on the project of the Verucchio Antonio Tondini, (Project signed by the Rimini Giovanni Morolli because Tondini was devoid of license), imposing and solemn, inside presents Renaissance and Baroque motifs and contains two crucifixes, masterpieces Paintings on tables: a work of the Venetian Catarino (wooden structure) and Nicolò di Pietro and the other of an unknown artist from Rimini of 300 of the school of Giotto, called “Master of Verucchio”. Among the various altarpieces gathered in the collegiate church is to be noted that of the main altar (Giovan Francesco Nagli, called the Centino-mid SEVENTEENTH century), with St. Martin that gives the mantle to the poor.
It is located in the upper part of Verucchio. The convent, inhabited since the sixteenth century for a few centuries, is now private property. One of the four Villanovian-Etruscan necropolis discovered in Verucchio was in this area. Some stretches of the walls are visible around the village and the Rocca del Passerello. They are named after the former Capuchin convent of San Giorgio, built in the SIXTEENTH century at the summit.
It overlooks the main square of Verucchio, Piazza Malatesta; It dates back to the SEVENTEENTH-EIGHTEENTH century. The façade is characterized by typical architectural elements of the time.
Flanked by the church of Santa Croce, it is close to the Via Marecchiese, in the hamlet of Villa Verucchio, about 2 km from the historical centre and the Rocca Malatestiana. It was founded by St. Francis in 1231 on the remains of an old hermitage that housed the Saint and Friar Leo during the return from San Leo, where S. Francis had as a gift the Monte della Verna from Messer Orlando de ‘ Cattani of Chiusi, delighted by the meeting with the saint and his speeches. Tradition tells that, among other miracles that s. Francis would have done on the place, planted his dry bordone of cypress that resumed life; Today, after almost 800 years, age confirmed also by botanists, the extraordinary dimensions (height 23 m and 7.5 m in diameter) make it a real monument that certainly deserves a visit. Near the convent Gush Healing waters that the legend wants made from the saint at the time of its passage.
It collects the prehistoric finds of the early Iron Age, belonging to the Villanovian civilisation. The earliest finds of this ancient prehistoric population were found in Villanova, near Bologna; The locality gave its name to the Villanovian culture, characterized by its own decorative style of pottery. Verucchio was and is the protagonist for the study and the knowledge of the Villanovian culture thanks to the archaeological excavations carried out in 1893, who discovered the necropolis of Campo del Tesoro and Fondo Washatoio (IX century B.C.), and in the years ‘ 60 and ‘ 70, which led to the Light graves, weapons, utensils, fibule, necklaces, machined bones; Objects-especially funerary ornaments-which give credit to the hypothesis that Verucchio was an Etruscan outpost towards the Adriatic Sea.
The Rimini-Verucchio Golf Club (18 Championship holes and 7 executive) is located close to the river Marecchia, in the flat part of Villa Verucchio. Around there is an incomparable view of the villages of Verucchio, Torriana and San Leo. In the background, the Rocky Monte Titan with the three towers of San Marino. A few kilometers away, the international airport of Rimini named after the great director Federico Fellini.